Tuesday, September 25, 2007

As We Grow Older

Time flashes by,
with the quickness of a lightning bolt.
The time spent by the poolside,
once seen as cherished memory,
now seen as wasted foolishness.
The younger years disappear
like the pages of a flip-book.
The friends you had,
slowly vanish as though in a rear-view mirror.
The memories creep,
like ivy up a wall,
no end in sight, nothing to stop it.
But you embrace it, because
as age approaches,
with the inevibility of a sunset
you realize.
If you're eyes are closed,
you can't see the sunrise.

3 comments:

Katie said...

I really like this poem as well. Quite a poet, True! In my opinion, this poem is about growing older and how time goes by so quickly its hard to grasp and process. I feel that the strongest, most vivid line is "slowly vanish as though in a rear-view mirror" because this creates a distinct image that everyone can visualize and relate to. One suggestion would be to compare the speed of time to something other than a lightnening bolt because alot of things are fast and the "quick as a lightening bolt" simile is almost cliche.

David R said...

This is another solid poem. To me, it's nice and easy to see the meaning and I like that, sometimes. Again, just like in the other poem, the imagery you create is perfect. I espcially love the line "The memoires creep/like ivy up a wall". For me at least, I hate ivy on walls. I think it is creepy. So, these two lines make me think about some memories that I'd rather forget.

Grace said...

I really like this poem, really good imagery with the sunset part at the end. It concludes the poem with a deeper meaning, very well written! I really like the ivy on the walls thing, very creepy. Nicely written!